MSRP: $699, Internet Prices from $559 (includes tax and shipping)
Whirlpool is one of the most recognizable names in America of companies that make appliances for the laundry room. With a long and successful history of making top loading washing machines, it is no surprise that in recent years Whirlpool has started making ffront load washers as well. With a model lineup that contains a washer at a variety of prices and feature levels Whirlpool likely has something for every consumer. The entry level front load washer that Whirlpool offers is their WFW9050XW which competes in the all important arena of the value priced front load washer. With a capacity matching that of competitors and a strong list of features the WFW9050XW deserves consideration from consumers.
* 3.5 cubic feet of capacity allows you to clean up to a claimed 16 pairs of jeans in a single load.
* Anti escape valve keeps detergent concentrated for maximal cleaning power.
* Care Control temperature management system uses 6th Sense technology to control water amount and temperature for ideal washing conditions.
* Quiet Wash system uses sound deadening materials to ensure quiet operation.
* Add-a-garment light lets you know when a forgotten item can still be added to the load.
* Choose the right washer settings for every load with 3 temperature settings, 6 automatic cycle options, and 7 adaptive washing actions.
* High speed 1100rpm spin removes more water by the washer to reduce drying times
* Adjustable end of cycle signal will remind you to switch your clothes over to the dryer when they are done in the washer.
* Energy Star certified to meet governmental standards for energy efficiency.
* CEE Tier III qualified by the Consortium of Energy Efficiency for the most efficient classification.
The Whirlpool WFW9050XW has received an average rating of 4.1 out of a possible 5 stars over the span of a few hundred ratings and reviews on the internet. Overall 92% of reviewers would recommend this model to another consumer. Among the chief things that people have mentioned as positives about this washer, is how quietly it operates; to be expected given the Quiet Wash features. Generally speaking this washer is perceived as a good value, and that is does a good job of getting clothes clean as well.
Reading the reviews that negatively review this washer and it is the typical mix of negative reviews, split more or less evenly among the typical themes. Some of the poor reviews complain of mold and poor odor coming from the washer. Yet another subset of the negative reviews complain about vibrations. The third major grouping complains of hardware failures that take, in the estimation too long to repair, or cost to much. It is worth noting however that there are a few negative reviews that are out there that indicate that some thing about this washer is causing clothes to experience excessive wear, and in some cases become entirely ruined.
Overall, and unfortunately for the Whirlpool WFW9050XW, it appears as though there are better alternatives out there for those who are looking for an entry level front load washer. One such better alternative might be the Samsung WF220ANW, which has the same MSRP and therefore can be found at various stores for more or less the same price as the WFW9050XW, but has a larger capacity and has received better reviews. Another alternative is the LG WM2140CW, which has been around for quite a while and has been a favorite of those who have purchased it. It also has a slightly larger capacity for more or less the same price. In a market as crowded as the front load washer market is, with consumers having many choices from various manufacturers to meet their needs, it is important to stand out in some way, and unfortunately, the Whirlpool WFW9050XW just doesn’t seem to be as good a choice as some other models.