MSRP: $999, Internet Prices: $798, shipping included
The Maytag company has been a major player in appliance manufacture for a long time here in America, and they certainly have brand recognition for washing machines. While not offering quite as many sizes and colors as some other manufacturers, Maytag does offer a full lineup of front load washers with a variety of sizes and number of features. As the mid-sized front load washer offering Maytag has the MHWE450WW performance series washer, which is rated as having the best cleaning ability among major leading brands of comparable size, using comparable cycles with default settings. With Maytag's commercial technology and a strong list of features the Maytag MHWE450WW makes its presence known in the midsize front load washer market.
* 3.9 cubic foot capacity allows massive loads of laundry and handles bulky items, such as pillows and comforters with ease
* Conveniently located front panel controls, with display to show estimated time remaining
* Sensi-Care™ wash system: the wash basket moves faster when washing big loads, moving gently at slower speeds for delicate loads
* 10 preprogramed cycle options to choose from include for easily choosing settings for most loads
* MaxExtract extended spin option to remove as much water as possible in the washer
* National Science Foundation certified sanitary cycles
* 3 tray dispenser for detergent, bleach and fabric softener
* ENERGY STAR and CEE Tier II rated for year-round energy and money savings
* Stainless steel wash drum is built for durability which leads to long life and also protects clothes from snags and pulls
* IntelliTemp automatic temperature control monitors incoming water for correct temperature
* IntelliFill uses sensors to always fill the washer to the proper level
* Fresh Hold with Dynamic Venting Technology keeps clothes smelling fresh for up to 10 hours after the cycle ends
* QuietSeries 300 system and Smooth Balance suspension system work together to keep noise and vibrations low
* Stackable design provides flexibility for the laundry room
Looking around at the reviews that are out there for the Maytag MHWE450WW does not paint a good picture for this model of front load washer. Relative to most of the other front load washers reviewed here, this is an extremely low rating, that comes with a fair degree of stability as there are a reasonable number of reviews out there for the MHWE450WW. There are about half as many reviewers that gave this washer a 1 star rating as that gave it 5 stars. Reading through the 1 star reviews quickly shows a trend. This washer seems to have issues with the bearings for the washing drum. There are numerous reviews that complain about the need to replace the bearings early on into the life of this washer, and a number more that complain about severe vibrations, which it is conceivable could be caused by bad bearings. If this happens after the warranty period is up, then the machine is just junk, as the repair will cost well more than the price of the machine brand new, which is somewhat puzzling. If this happens during the warranty period, sure they will be replaced without charge, but the washer might be out of service for a few days.
It is entirely likely that the Maytag company does not manufacture that bearings that there are so many complaints about failures of for this model. Also, it is curious that there aren't more complaints about bearing failures for other models that Maytag makes. The reality of the situation is that this particular model does have these complaints, and consumers have other options when it comes to a midsized front load washer, for instance there is the LG WM2140CW, which has received much better ratings from consumers and is even slightly cheaper. For approximately the same price as the Maytag MHWE450WW there is the Bosch WFVC6450UC, which has a slightly larger tub and Bosch's industry leading efficiencies. With all purchases of this magnitude, do your homework before making a final decision, and hopefully everything will work out well.